What to do with all those apples you grow?
So now what?
Don’t ever think growing too much fruit is a bad thing…
Preserve that fruit by making Apple Sauce!
Recipe for James Apple Sauce
- 3 kilos of apples
- I cup of water
- Half a cup of sugar (or substitute)
- Core and quarter the apples – keep skin on
- Throw in a big pot
- Add the water
- Slowly bring to the boil
- Stir occasionally then more often once the apples start to break down
- Add the sugar
- Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Turn off the heat then mash it all up
- Sterilise jars by first filling them with boiling water
- Fill jars with the apple sauce
It is both delicious and a practical way to make use of all the apples you (hopefully), are able to keep away from the bugs and birds.
Works great as a spread for meats, on fruit bread, in a smoothie, or just straight out of the jar with a spoon. Enjoy.
- Homemade Apple Sauce (irreverentbaker.wordpress.com)
- Apple Butter (toomuchbutter.com)
- Apple Sauce (kerrysrecipes.wordpress.com)